Registration is open…
Join two working professional pet photographers for an incredible workshop experience that will take your pet photography to new heights.
The Hair of the Dog Retreat is moving from snow to sand to touchdown on the gorgeous white sands and clear Gulf of Mexico waters of Anna Maria Island, Florida. Join us for 3 FULL days of learning and 4 nights of accommodation at our private island paradise. Our beachfront compound consists of 3 unique and perfectly decorated units, but the main attraction is the grounds that they are on. We’ve got pools, hot tubs, fire pits, lounge chairs, beach chairs, umbrellas and best of all, February sunshine!
Nicole Begley Photography and Hair of the Dog
Prior to starting her photography business in 2010, Nicole spent 13 years working as a zoological animal trainer working with everything from aardvarks to seals, and primates to free-flight birds. She always had an entrepreneurial spirit but it finally clicked when she realized how much she enjoyed taking photographs of the animals that she worked with. Nicole knows that even though certain animals may all look the same, they each have their own spirit and personality… and it is that personality that she captures with her camera. Nicole Begley Photography is based in Pittsburgh, PA where she creates expressive artwork of her clients’ best friends. Nicole is a Master Photographer, Photographic Craftsman, and Certified Professional Photographer (M.Photog.Cr, CPP if you like initials) and has been a medalist in the International Print Competition for the past four years. She lives in Pittsburgh with her husband, two tiny humans, office manager Emma the cat, and her Puerto Rican wonder dog Zoey.
Terran started her path to becoming the crazy animal lady from the very beginning; she cared for horses, dogs, and a guinea pig growing up and even rescued injured wildlife around her home in upstate New York. She fell in love with photography and graphic design from an early age. After graduating college, she set off down the typical path of working for someone else. After six years, Terran realized that wasn’t the life for her and left a soul-sucking corporate job in 2007 to be her own boss; she hasn’t looked back. She has built her business to combine her love of art and layout with photography and squishy flufferbutts. Terran works with private clients, non-profits, and commercial clients such as My Perfect Pet, Pet Grass, Savage Universal, and more. She also volunteers with a few favorite rescues and non-profits to photograph their animals and raise money through fundraising events.
What will you learn?
- Watch each instructor work through a session
- Work in small groups of 3 with instructor feedback
- Discover new strategies for working with dogs and owners
- Create new compositions from everyday surroundings
- Identify how lens choice affects your final image
- Learn how to elicit expression from a variety of canine personalities
- Explore options for creating variety in your images
- Watch both instructors take their images through the entire Lightroom and Photoshop editing process
- Have the opportunity to work on the images that you create at the workshop while instructors are available to answer your editing questions
- Discover the client communication and workflow of the instructors
- Create a file management and backup system
- Dive into pricing and sales during interactive roundtables
- Creating charitable marketing opportunities and working with non-profits
- Discover how to hold profitable mini-sessions
- Learn best practices when marketing your business with events
- Determine how to set your brand and website up for success in the marketplace
- Includes 20 minutes of private 1:1 time with the instructors to review your website, pricing, or deep dive into whatever topic you need
- Get an inside peek into both instructors’ successful businesses
The Breckenridge retreat with Nicole and Terran was the most enjoyable, happy, stress-free workshop for photographers I have attended. Everyone was so kind and easy-going; it was a wonderful atmosphere to learn how to take my business to the next level!Kathie Ono
- We will be hosting TWO workshops February 5-7, 2018 and February 9-11, 2018- workshop one will be for photographers that have been in business for one year or less, and workshop two will be for established pet photographers.
- Each workshop is limited to only NINE students – although there is some room for your spouse/partner/friend to join you so long as you aren’t too jealous of their extra beach time.
- Students may arrive at the house during the evening of the day prior to the workshop and stay until the morning after the workshop.
- Registration includes 4 nights accommodation in our gorgeous beachfront digs, all transportation during the workshop, and all food throughout the experience. We will try our best to accommodate any special dietary restrictions. The only expenses you have are getting yourself to the house (the closest major airport is Tampa) and any alcoholic beverages you may choose to consume at dinner (or happy hour in our tiki bar).
- A private Facebook group for continued support from the instructors.
- A USB drive FILLED with incredible amounts of information and resources.
- Registration will open on Thursday, October 5th. Registration ranges from 2199 – 2599 depending on the type of accommodation selected.
- Private room, shared bath: 2599 – 5 available. Shared room with one additional student, bottom bunk, shared bath – 2399 – 3 available. Shared room with one additional student, top bunk, shared bath – 2199 – 1 available.
- Guests are welcome when choosing a private room with an additional charge of 500.
Thank you so much for sharing your wisdom and patience with me. I truly feel I have grown each day in Breckenridge, both in my knowledge and technique. Terran and Nicole have a very warm and welcoming style that makes it easy to learn — and more importantly, they make it fun! The Breckenridge retreat was an exceptional experience and one I will treasure!Linda Metcalf
Registration is now open!
All content © Nicole Begley Photography, LLC - Hair of the Dog 2012-2017. All rights reserved. Stealing is for suckers.