Raise your hand if you love your cable company?
No one? Didn’t think so.
If you are in the United States, your internet service provider could soon be offering internet service in a similar manner.
- Want to purchase something on Amazon? You need to subscribe to the shopping tier.
- Looking to get caught up on Stranger Things? You better make sure that you have the entertainment tier on your internet.
- What if you want to visit the website of your favorite local restaurant to browse the menu? You may need the small business package for that.
- Oh wait! You HAVE a small business? Well, you are going to have to pay the cable companies in order for your site to be included for the people that subscribe to the small business package to actually find you.
- This is all possible, and actually likely if net neutrality gets overturned.
Internet service providers will also have the opportunity to throttle the internet speed of their competitors. Do they offer their own streaming service? Good luck getting good speed when you want to watch HBO GO.
Do you think that sounds crazy? Well, it’s a fact of life in Portugal. Below is an example of a wireless carrier’s charges…
I’m not one to get political on this platform, but this could literally be a life and death struggle for small business and upstart companies. It simply must be stopped.
We need the internet to remain open and free. We need an internet that you simply pay to access but you can access any corner of the interwebs that you desire. We need to fight against the big media lobby that is pushing this change.
The FCC will vote on this matter on December 14th.
Please do not think that because you are only one person that you can’t make a difference. It is critical that each and every one of us try. When we unite, we can make a difference. Even though Washington thinks that they are special, this is still a government of the people FOR the people. Please make your wishes known.
Call and tweet your congressmen at www.battleforthenet.com.
Take action at www.savetheinternet.com/action.
Use Resistbot to quickly and easily contact your elected officials from your phone. Text RESIST to 50409 and it will walk you through the steps to contact your representatives in less than 2 minutes.
If you need an idea of what to write, this is what I just sent. “Please keep the internet open and free by keeping the current net neutrality law in place. I am a small business owner and an open internet is critical to my success. Please do not give into the lobby of the major media companies but remember that you represent me, and many more like me.”